|
|
Oregon Legislative
Assembly Office of the Senate President Office of the House Speaker |
|
News Release
Contact: Robin
Maxey Geoff Sugerman July 22, 2010
(503)
986-1605 (503) 986-1210
robin.maxey@state.or.us geoff.sugerman@state.or.us
Legislature Prevents Cuts To In-Home
Care for Seniors, Services for Disabled
(SALEM) – The Legislative Emergency Board
unanimously restored $17.1 million in services to seniors and people with
disabilities Thursday morning, buying back a portion of the $158 million in
across-the-board cuts to the Department of Human Services budget
E-board Co-Chairs Senate President Peter Courtney and
House Speaker Dave Hunt
said the action protects vital programs that serve over
16,000 Oregonians and their families and allows the state to retain over $14
million in federal funds.
Thursday’s Emergency Board meeting focused only on
the Department of Human Services budget, restoring funding to programs which
were set to be reduced or eliminated in the next 45 days. The proposed cuts
were part of 9 percent across the board cuts made under the Governor’s
allotment authority to balance the budget in the face of a $577 million revenue
shortfall projected in May.
“As we make deep cuts to our state’s budget,
we’re taking great care to protect our seniors and most vulnerable
citizens. The cuts we restored today will keep seniors in their homes and help
those struggling with disabilities and mental health problems in these tough
times,” said Hunt (D-Clackamas County). “The programs we are
restoring are critical to the future health of Oregon.”
“We are acting cautiously, prudently and with
compassion. We are acting without regard to politics or party. We know it is
absolutely the right the right thing to do to keep serving those who need help
the most – especially our senior citizens and children with
disabilities,” Courtney said. “Our priorities will continue to be
protecting Oregon’s most vulnerable and avoiding higher costs down the
road.”
Some of the restorations protect services through the
remainder of the biennium, ending June 30, 2011. Others are protected until
March 1, 2011. For the latter, restoring these services into next year will
allow the Legislature to get at least three more revenue forecasts, determine
the level of federal aid that may be available, and immediately ensure the safety
of thousands of Oregonians receiving assistance.
Included in the restored cuts list are:
·
Oregon Project Independence, a state-based
program offering in-home assistance to seniors and those diagnosed with
Alzheimer’s (2,000 people served last year)
·
Medicaid In-Home Care programs for seniors,
people with disabilities and mental health issues (over 11,000 clients in three
different programs)
·
Community Mental Health programs for people
without Medicaid assistance (1,462 clients)
·
Developmental Disabilities Family Support
Program offering assistance with extraordinary costs associated with raising a
child with developmental disabilities (1,140 families)
The 20-member bipartisan Legislative Emergency Board has
the authority to make changes within agency budgets during the interim. The
E-Board also has access to a small emergency fund appropriated by the full
Legislature. The board was first used 99 years ago to deal with deficit
spending by a state agency. Oregon voters placed the Legislative Emergency Board
in the state constitution in 1952.